Monday, November 9, 2009

For All Mankind


As a kid, I was mildly interested in space. I was much more interested in time travel. And Doc Emmett Brown and Marty McFly and flying Deloreans. After watching Al Reinert's 1989 film "For All Mankind", I'm rethinking all of this. 

This is an 80 minute documentary consisting of footage culled from all of the Apollo space missions. The film is sequenced as if the audience is witnessing a trip to the moon from start to finish. The film begins with the astronauts boarding the ship and ends with them returning to earth. The footage captured of and by these Apollo space missions is the only thing used in the film. The dialogue is a mix of interview clips with the people involved in these missions and audio taken directly from the missions as they were happening. There are no talking heads and the narrators remain anonymous. Just stunning visuals with very interesting and very relevant narration. 

I was totally entranced by this documentary. It makes you realize as a human living on earth, just how small you are in the bigger scheme of an entire galaxy. Not only is the footage from space absolutely beautiful, but the accompanying music is perfect. Brian Eno is responsible for the breathtaking score and I've been on a huge Brain Eno/ambient kick lately, so it was the right film/music at the right time for me. 

I won't continue to attempt to put into words the feelings this film gave me. I'll simply say, if this sounds at all like something you might be into, check it out. I told my wife after watching this documentary that I wanted to go to the moon. This film had that kind of impact on me.

Buy the film HERE

1 comment: