Monday, August 30, 2010

15 Albums In 15 Minutes Or Less

I stole this from my Facebook. It was fun to do and think about. I thought that I would post it on here just incase I have people that read my blog who aren't my friends on Facebook.


The rules: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen albums you've heard that will always stick with you. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes. Tag fifteen friends, including me, because I'm interested in seeing what albums my friends choose. To do this, go to your Notes tab on your profile page, paste rules in a new note, cast your fifteen picks, and tag people in the note.

Check out my pics and a brief explanation after the jump...



1.) Stars of The Lid-...And Their Refinement of The Decline
2.) Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys-Jumping From 6 To 6
3.) Alkaline Trio-Goddamnit
4.) Dodos-Visiter
5.) Murder By Death-Who Will Survive And What Will Be Left of Them?
6.) Radiohead-Kid A
7.) Slim Cessna's Auto Club-The Bloody Tenent Truth And Peace
8.) New Order-Power, Corruption, & Lies
9.) Brian Eno-Ambient 1:Music For Airports
10.) Skinny Puppy-Too Dark Park
11.) Beck-Sea Change
12.) Against Me!-As The Eternal Cowboy
13.) TV On The Radio-Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
14.) Junior Boys-So This Is Goodbye
15.) Q And Not U-Soft Pyramids

I thought that this would be a fairly easy thing to do. I've come to realize that it isn't. To me, this list of 15 albums may not be the "coolest" or most obscure or most grown up, but every one of them served as a gateway for me to whole worlds of music. Some of them are albums that I still listen to on a very regular basis and others are albums that hold a special place in my heart and always will regardless of how often I listen to them. All 15 of these albums either introduced me to a whole new genre of music or they showed me how good genres I already knew about could sound. Some of them changed my idea of what music was. They took the whole idea of melody and song structure and turned it upside down for me, forever changing the way that I listen to music. And the ones that may not have been earth shatteringly different might have just come into my life at the right place and right time. They got in my gut and will always be there.

When you're a music obsessed dude like myself, 15 albums is nowhere near enough to sum up a lifetime worth of listening, but the 15 listed above are a good jumping off point if you're trying to figure me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment